Monday, February 19, 2007

Valentine's? Bah hum bug!

Or at least that's apparently Stephen's opinion of the holiday. The first of the month, I suggested that, if he got a wild hair to buy me flowers at the last minute (like he normally does) to not, that there was something cheaper from Wal-Mart that I would really rather have. He said he hadn't planned on doing anything but a card. So I said that's fine. And then he said we might go out to eat the weekend before or the weekend after, since it was a week night and things are so busy and crowded during the week on holidays. Okay, sounded fine to me. Until Wed night when I tried to give him his Valentine's day card. He had a fit. Said it wasn't time for them. Said we were doing cards this weekend when we went out to eat. Ah, uh, okay. Whatever. Makes zero sense to me and really hurt my feelings, bad.

Fast forward to this Saturday. Bear in mind I've been sick all week and didn't feel like going out to eat this weekend. He mentioned about 3pm, "oh, we need to do Valentine's cards but my card for you is downstairs and I don't want to have to go down and get it, we'll do them later". Ah, okay, again, I guess. So I'm seeing really quickly that it's too much effort for him to have to walk down the steps to get my card. Gee, that really made my hurt feelings better. So I take my card down later that evening and he never mentions it again. Sunday he mentions in passing "we didn't do cards" and "why didn't you remind me"? Well you know, big guy, if I have to remind you to give me a card, then it really doesn't mean much does it? But I didn't say it. STILL he doesn't go get my card.

This morning I am getting ready to leave for work and find a card by my keys and purse. It's not a valentine's day card. It's a generic "love you" card. He wrote inside it something lame about how he doesn't need a holiday to be told when to tell me he loves me or some other BS like that. And he doesn't even sign it love Stephen - he signs it "your husband". I'm just crushed beyond words. I KNEW he had forgotten to get me a real card, and this just proves it. I'm so hurt and upset I don't know how to express my feelings. I know it's "just a holiday" to him but he KNOWS it's not to me. How dare he cast my feelings in the mud like this? Men!!

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Aw, Sussann, I am *so* sorry that the holiday ended up being a big disappointment. Stuff like that hurts even when the other person doesn't see it as a big deal. I hope you're feeling better now.