Monday, March 06, 2006

on grilling, being lazy, and warm, cozy fires with blankets

Boy, the weekends just seem to fly by. Seems like I was just getting home at 5, just changing clothes, just starting supper and wham, now it's Monday again. Saturday was the first dry, winds-less-than-20 mph weekend day we'd had in two months. So I took advantage of it and fired up the grill. Now I'm not a great griller, in fact, Stephen would tell you I stink at it. But I gave it a shot. He wasn't feeling well and I'd been itching for a grilled chicken breast, so I tried it. It's only the second time I've grilled on my own. The first ended in disaster, which to be fair wasn't entirely my fault! Last fall I decided to grill. It was 97 degrees out and so humid I couldn't get the charcol to light. It was a mess, but lesson learned, you can't grill in 98% humidity.

So I grilled - burgers with bbq sauce, chicken breasts with Emeril's chicken rub seasoning and bbq sauce, steak for Stephen, and a preseasoned turkey breast. The only trouble I ran in to this time was the turkey was frozen and took forever to grill. But man, was it good. Plus I have enough left overs for at least 3 meals this week, and we've already eaten off it twice! :)

Lazy, that was me this weekend. I didn't want to do much of any thing. I should have worked in the flower beds since it was nice. They'll get out of control in no time at all. Stephen would love to dig them up, but I can't bear to part with them, not yet anyway. So I scrapped a little (I almost have a layout done, very simple, but my first layout in MONTHS!), did laundry, stripped the bed, and watched a dvd. Walk the Line. Now I'm not a country music fan and I've never cared for Johnny Cash. But Joaquin Phoenix was completely believable. I was shocked at how much I liked this movie. And I'm also not a Reece Witherspoon fan either.

This weekend we had a fire in the fireplace. Probably the last one before spring officially gets here. It was cold in the house and damp outside. There's nothing quite like a roaring fire to warm the body and soul. I love watching the flames, feeling the heat. Our den is fairly small, so a fire makes it really warm and cozy. Curl up with a blanket, the fire and a good book - can't beat that.


sussann

No comments: