Tuesday, March 14, 2006

tax time

Man, do I hate tax season. I have to start working on taxes for the office in January. I have to go to the account for the office in February because the corporate tax filing deadline is March 15th. Our normally fast accountant didn't get ours done as quick as he usually does. He called me yesterday saying he still needed info from me.....info that I emailed him on February 8th.....and that he'd try his best to finish them in time for the filing deadline. Ugh!!

I found out last week that the guy who does our personal taxes wouldn't do ours this year because he was "closing his tax business early". Excuse me? He won't return our phone calls for two weeks and now we've called too late? Now our personal taxes aren't that hard, it's just worth the $35 we pay him to have his name at the bottom of our return - just in case. So, Friday night I sat down with the forms I downloaded from the web and figured our taxes. Then I bought a piece of tax software to double check myself. I am very happy to say this is the first time in 12 yrs of marriage that we don't OWE! What a relief. Of course when you hold out almost double with amount the withholding table tells you to, you'd better not owe!!

Today I'm mailing off all the taxes, for work and for us and I couldn't be happier. It's like a weight has been lifted off me. For the first time in almost 3 months I don't have that hanging over my head. I'm not tense about the taxes, I'm not stressed, I'm not in a panic that the account won't get them to us in time, I'm done, done, DONE! YEAH!!!

Can you tell, I hate tax time? :)

No comments: