Friday, March 03, 2006

on screaming kids, Dairy Queen, and date night

This morning a young mother came in to the office with her cute little daughter, probably 2 yrs old. Suddenly, out of nowhere she starts screaming her head off. She's in such a fit that she's arched back over her mother's arm, head pointed straight to the ground, screaming til her face is white. The mother didn't do anything......nothing....nada.....zip....zilch......I wanted so bad to go to the mother and ask if the child was ill. Then I wanted to smack the mother and tell her that she needed to re-evaluate her child-rearing skills because doing nothing, ignoring her bleach-white-no-blood-left-in-her-face, tear-stained daughter wasn't getting it done. Might want to rethink that idea.

Dairy Queen. Love it! I can drive by and add 5 lbs to my waist line. We live in a town where our DQ closes during the winter. So when the last of February rolls around, the air starts buzzing - is it March 1st yet? Are you going the first day it opens? What are you going to get? Our DQ only serves hotdogs and ice cream. I wish they served burgers. I used to work at a DQ Brazier store forever and a day ago. I well remember the blizzards, floats, hard served ice cream, even the breeze (the blizzard made from yogart). I almost always worked the night shift til closing. I had to wash dishes and mop the floors. I hated that. Every one else would break down the machines and drop them at my sink to clean up. I was always the last one to leave because they had already done their part. I remember hot summer nights, driving home at midnight, the windows down to try to cool off (no A/C in my old 1979 Monte Carlo) and stay awake all at the same time. Ah, DQ.....

Tuesday night was Date Night. We hadn't done that in ages. I thought it would be nice to have a special evening either watching a movie or maybe playing a game. Stephen agreed. But after supper, he was too tired to watch the movie. I was crushed. I don't know why I had looked forward to it so much, didn't even realize I was looking forward to it so much, until it fell apart. I felt like I'd been stood up. I don't know why it hurt me so bad, but it did. I was sad for two days. I don't think I'll suggest date night again any time soon.

sussann

No comments: