Wednesday, May 31, 2006

They are rich who have friends. - Scandinavian Proverb

I have a little quote dispenser on my desk. This quote popped up last week, and I've been giving it a lot of thought lately. A good friend (my internet buddy) told me the other day that her boss used to tell her if she had one good friend, one true friend that she could call in the middle of the night, no matter what, that she was lucky. I've been thinking of this and wondering who I would call in the middle of the night if I needed something. Needed someone to help me in the middle of the night, to go to the Emergency Room with me, to bail me out of jail. I have "friends" but unfortunately my true friends live across the country. Not much chance of calling them to bail me out of jail or hold my hand at the hospital.

That got me to thinking about my funeral. Will any one attend? Would any one truly miss me? Oh, I know Stephen would, and if his family was alive, they would come to the funeral. But how many of my "friends" would come? Would anyone cry?

So I ask you, do YOU have a true friend? A friend you could call at 3am? A friend who would hold your hand when you were sick? A friend who would be there if you were dying?

They are rich who have friends. Yes, but I would say "They are rich who have TRUE friends".

1 comment:

cindyMN said...

I am blessed to have several friends that will do that for me. AND unfortunetly have HAD to call on them..namely in one instance.
OF COURSE I would miss YOU tremendously!!!
cindy